Our History

The first Sion school was created in Paris in 1843 by Théodore Ratisbonne, descendent of a family of Jewish intellectuals. He and his brother became Catholic priests dedicated to creating schools for both Jewish and Christian children—schools that would emphasize the religious connections between these two communities.

The work of these two exceptional men gave rise to the Congregation Notre-Dame de Sion, an order devoted to teaching and battling discrimination in all its forms. The Congregation founded its first North American school in 1894.

École Bilingue Notre-Dame de Sion, Montreal, situated in Ville St. Laurent, was founded in 1963. It is an elementary school which has a teaching permit from the Minister of Education, Recreation, and Sports (M.E.L.S.) in both official languages, English and French. Our students benefit from the theories and techniques developed by the late Dr. Wilfred Penfield, who studied the amazing ability of young children to learn languages.
In 2004, École Bilingue Notre-Dame de Sion was expanded to accommodate more students.

 

Highlights

Paris, 1843

Théodore Ratisbonne founds first Sion school

1843

NDS Sisters arrive in North America to open schools in Maine

1904

NDS Sisters arrive in Canada and establish schools in Saskatchewan

1947

NDS Sisters arrive in Montréal

1963

Sisters Margaretta Chouinard, nds and Josie Germaine, nds, open the first ECOLE BILINGUE NOTRE-DAME DE SION on Dornel Ave. in Montréal, with only one grade 1 class

1964-1966

School moves to St-Pascal-Baylon School on Côte-des-Neiges Road

1966-1981

School moves to Gratton Street in St-Laurent

1981

Increased enrolment requires EBNDS to move to its present location on Décarie Boulevard

2004

Expansion of ECOLE BILINGUE NOTRE-DAME DE SION